Pages

We're talking books, blogs and blurb. Join in with our chats about which books are feeding our hunger for a good read.


Tuesday 13 September 2011

New Book Club

I thought this might be the perfect place for people to share information about books they have recently read, have always wanted to read or can recommend to others. Once the Six Book Challenge starts in January, library staff (who want to take part) will try to read a book once a month and comment on it, to support the students doing the Challenge. Any other staff or students who would like to do this are most welcome to join in.

So, since this is my idea I will start. I have just finished reading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. It was very well-written and really made you believe in the character narrating the story. The ordinary details of everyday life within both the narrator's family life and his descriptions of towns and villages are a great contrast with the spooky and supernatural events he witnesses. I found myself completely with the character, experiencing what he does- hearing noises, opening doors into unknown rooms- and hoping for an explanation. Although you do get one, it turns out to be both poignant and horrifying. I highly recommend this book; it's not too long and evokes a really gothic atmosphere. It's apparently being turned into a film with Daniel Radcliffe, which I'll go and see, if only to compare.

9 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea, I'll definitely be joining in! I'm currently reading "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've already seen the film, but the book is proving to be even better. I will comment further once I've finished it.

    Jo @ The Library BL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started on At Sea by Laurie Graham. Seems promising. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At Sea was really good. Very witty and clever. Really recommend it to others. I'm going to start looking for other Laurie Graham books now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading "One Day" by David Nicholls to see what all the hype is about.

    I will let you know what I think.


    Suzie NC Library @ Daventry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finished One Day and loved, loved , loved this book. Couldn't put it down. Throuroughly recommended.



    Suzie NC Library @ Daventry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never Let Me Go was very good - really makes you think about humanity and what we would consider to be humane in the battle against life threatening illnesses such as cancer.

    It's quite sad towards the end too, but I definitely didn't cry. Definitely.... OK, maybe....

    Jo @ NC Library

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just started reading 'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton; I'm about a third of the way through.
    The format is of one sister writing a letter to another who is missing, and she also writes flashbacks into her letter. I found that the style was a little irritating to begin with as it seems like nobody would talk or write the way that she does, but it begins to suit the story better the more I read on.
    It's not the usual crime fiction novel... so I'm hoping the ending has something different or unusual to offer. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone I know who's read the book of 'One Day' has been a bit disappointed with the film, but I suppose that happens quite often. Think I will give it a go too. Is Never Let Me Go set in Japan, about a young couple?
    Nichola @BL Library

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol from our new book collection in Daventry. I mostly enjoyed it as Dan knows how to tell a good yarn but also found it mildly irritating that characters who had been half dead one moment could continue (on and on!) with their high brow discussion when rescued! His characters certainly don't waste time eating or sleeping! Not as good as the other 3 Dan Brown's I've read but Decepton Point has been recommended to me by a friend as a real page turner and I can see it on the shelf here in the library.....
    Oh and I found an interesting fact.... the Library of Congress in Washington DC is the largest library on earth with over 500 miles of shelves and it is still expanding at a rate of over ten thousand items a day!
    Joan, The Library, Daventry

    ReplyDelete